Chili is one of my favorite cool weather foods. Brings back memories of getting up at the crack of dawn to fight frostbite and cheer on the Hawkeyes! Chili comforts the soul and chicken chili goes really well with an IPA just sayin’!
Okay, back to the chili. Roasted poblano and Anaheim chiles bring spice and sweetness to build the base of this chicken chili. Chicken thighs are the perfect protein for great chicken flavor that won’t dry out like chicken breasts and the spice mix is the perfect seasoning to add complexity. Making this chicken chili truly special is the poblano cream that mixes poblano with avocado, lime, and sour cream to put some lipstick on the original sour cream topping. Bringing the crunch I’ve baked tortillas and seasoned them with a lime salt. Spicy, sweet, creamy, crunchy, all there! Now you just need to make it!
If you like spicy make sure you check out https://snapyoursupper.com/korean-style-skirt-steak-with-glazed-baby-bok-choy/
Chicken chili packed full of roasted chilies, corn. Topped with poblano cream and baked lime tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1.5 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1.25 teaspoons kosher salt
- 0.5 teaspoons cayenne chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 poblano chilies roasted, peeled, seeded, diced;
- 2 Anaheim chilies roasted, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1 Fresno chilies minced,
- 1 large white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 15oz cans great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 16 oz bag frozen roasted corn do not thaw first
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1.5 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime zest
- 0.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 poblano chili roasted, peeled, seed, diced
- 1 medium avocado ripe, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 4 oz sour cream
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 Fresno chili sliced
In small bowl add all ingredients in the spice mix and stir. Set aside.
Over medium heat add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a medium sized stock pot. Once hot add chicken thighs in single layer. Sprinkle half of spice mixture over chicken; set remainder aside for later. Sear chicken for 2 minutes each side or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and dice chicken.( it will not be cooked through at this point) Set aside. Add 2 poblanos, Anaheim chilies, 1 Fresno, onion and garlic to the pan. Stir lightly and allow to cook 5 minutes until onion is softened. Add beans, frozen corn, chicken stock, reserved spice mix and diced chicken to the pan. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cover pan and allow to simmer for 30-40 minutes.
While chili is simmering prepare chips. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush corn tortillas evenly with olive oil. In small bowl mix together lime zest and sea salt. Rub mixture between your fingers to release oil and evenly season tortillas. Cut into triangles. Bake for 15-20 minutes . Keep an eye out so they don’t burn! Remove from oven an set aside for garnish.
In bowl of food processor add 1 roasted poblano, avocado, lime juice and sour cream. Pulse until smooth. Set aside.
Remove Ladle full of beans and smash with back of your spoon or a fork to help thicken chili. Stir to combine and serve hot chili into individual bowls. Top with shredded cheese, cilantro, poblano cream, tortilla chips, and sliced fresno. Serve immediately